Friday, June 13, 2008

Light and dark

England has a lot of daylight hours.  We are realizing this when we wake up to a bright and sunny day, then look at the clock and realize that is just after 5 in the morning.  Of course all this sunlight is an effective alarm clock for the kids, who are usually awake sometime around 6.  In the evening, it doesn't get truly dark until about 10 - its shortly after nine right now and still quite light out.  Fortunately the kids don't have trouble falling asleep with the light.  I do love all the windows in this house, but I think I need to add black-out curtains to the shopping list.  The kids (not to mention Brad and I) really don't get enough sleep and its starting to take its toll.

Speaking of lack of sleep, I am still recovering from my two later-than-usual nights with our visitor.  On the second night she was here, we went to London to see Wicked.  It was as good as I expected, if not better.  I actually didn't know what to expect.  Of course I knew it was a prequel to the Wizard of Oz and had to do with the Wicked Witch of the West, but I didn't know anything about the actual story.  So the whole thing was full of surprises for me, and I loved it.  I also love that you can buy ice cream in the actual theatre at intermission.  I had chocolate.

No comments:

stories of our life and adventures near London, England