Most houses also have a number, but they didn't always have them and some still don't. So you'd have a house name and a road, and you'd still get your post. I suppose the detailed post codes help with this.
Most houses have nice little plaques out front with the names on them. When we moved into our first house I noticed the absence of such a plaque. I wondered what its name was, if it had one at all. After getting a few pieces of mail with the word "Trevose" on it, I figured it out - that was the name!
Then we moved to another house with no name plaque. Since I didn't notice anything that looked like a house name on our post, I queried the owner. As far as he knows, the house has never been named. I have to admit that I'm a touch disappointed that I live in a no-name house!
I'm not really sure what the history of house-naming is. I don't know who gets the honor of naming houses. Or if they can ever be changed. But I think its a neat tradition and its great that it still goes on in this modern age.
2 comments:
Ann you have to name your house, that is a cool tradition. Ask your neighbors what the protocol is? I bet your kids will come up with some fun names.
I agree with Frau! Name your house! Ben & Susanna will enjoy making up silly names!
Post a Comment